Friday 26 July 2013

What did I do wrong?

As planned I woke up early and spent the day by the pool soaking up the Egyptian Sun, Mawuan slept until midday but then came to join me. It was perfect no one else was around except the odd hotel staff member that would stop by to see if we wanted a drink every so often. We played the music we liked through the pool speakers and took a dip in the pool whenever we started to feel too hot.

One of Marwuan's oldest friends called he was staying in the next city Sharm El Sheik and because Marwuan had been busy until now running tours back to back they had not had a chance to catch up in a year, so plans were made that we would take the hour long journey this evening to meet up for a drink. The sun was starting to go down I collected my belongings and made my way back to the room. I was looking forward to spending some time in Sharm El Sheik I had only spent a few hours there while on tour the year before and loved the vibe I got from the place. Sharm el-Sheikh is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the Arab world. Many tourist from Europe and Russia visit and it was much more populated than Dahab due to Na'ama Bay which is in the centre of the town. Here you find shisha cafe after shisha cafe, restaurants like Hard Rock Cafe, MacDonalds and KFC as well as nightclubs that fill to the brim of tourist. All the big chain hotels are located in Sharm so you get a verity of guests not just divers and back packers like Dahab.

We took a private car to Sharm this car would drive us there and wait around until we were ready return to Dahab it cost us 300LE (around $43) The drive to Sharm is beautiful the whole way you are driving through the golden granite mountains of the Sinai desert. Occasionally you will see the odd tree standing alone but the rest is just mountains. We have to go through 3 police check points where I have to show my passport and visa to the army. Each man at the check point either has a hand gun attached to his waist or a automatic rifle hand over his shoulder. At first this is quite intimidating but after a while you get used to it.

In Sharm we walk through the main street to my surprise the cafes still have many customers. Each cafe looks simular with flashing lights, low tables and colourful bright cushions on the ground to sit on. Each table have different colour shisha either to the side or siting in the centre of the table which the customers pass around their group. You see puffs of smoke lingering above the tables but the smell is of strawberry or apple. Music is blearing out of the cafe speakers some cafes are playing Arabic music and others are playing English music that was popular a year ago in Australia. Staff of the cafe try to entice you to enter their cafe by dancing out the front while calling you in. Some cafes have bellying dancers entertaining their guests; one cafe even had a dancer with a large snake around her neck.

We did not enter any of these cafes today we went to Hard Rock Cafe to eat then met Marwuan's friend at an English pub called Monty's. The pub was small in size at most could fit in 60 people. On the walls it had cartoon pictures framed of famous people and the roof was covered in napkins that visitors had wrote on with black pen then taped to the ceiling. Marwuans friend greeted us as soon as we walked in. You could tell they were both very happy to see each other after this long time apart they kissed each other on the cheek. All the tables were full so we took a seat in one of the tables that was already occupied with 2 English girls. The rest of that evening I spent sculling cocktails and talking to the English girls while Marwuan caught up with his friend. We all got very drunk and danced in the centre of the bar to the R&B music that the dj was playing.

We stayed at the bar until it closed which was around 3am. Walking back to the main road to meet our driver I was walking a few steps ahead of the boys they had their arms around each other and were swaying side to side. I am always a fast walker and find it hard to slow down I was hoping they would pick their speed up but they were to into their conversation to notice. A group of men were walking the opposite direction and one of them made a sexy comment towards me. I just ignored it but Marwuan must have heard because he came running to where I was and started yelling at the group of men. It got heated very quickly men were pushing each other and fist were flying. Some people were trying to pull the two groups apart and thankfully Marwuan listened and walked away. He came over to me and grabbed me by the arm and pulled me to his side. Yelling at me he said "When we go out this is where you walk. Not in front of me not behind me. HERE!" I was in shock I didn't know what was going on. I kept silent until we reached the car. In the car I asked him why he was mad at me I didn't do anything wrong but he did not speak to me. He did not speak to me the whole drive back to the hotel and once we reached the hotel he went straight into the room with the two beds and slept there for the night. I laid in bed waiting for him to come into our room but he didn't. The next day was Valentines day how was that going to be would he be ok with me then. I kept replying in my head what had happened and how I was in the wrong but I just couldn't justify why he treated me this way. I finally fell asleep worrying about what was the rest of this vacation was going to be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment