Friday 26 July 2013

Egypt here I come

I tried to contact Marwuan to see how things were going last time I spoke to him he was on the bus back to Cairo from Dahab with his tour group, he had told me that people on the streets had been approaching the bus with batons and machetes searching to see who was in the bus but then would let them pass once they noticed they were tourist. I asked if he was scared but he told me he was a little unease but that they were just residents protecting their area from thugs and protesters.

Today I could not get through to him each time I called his mobile all I heard was a message from a lady speaking Arabic I tried throughout the day without any luck, I was keeping a close eye on the news though the internet it was then announced that the Egyptian government had cut all phone lines and internet access in the country to prevent people from communicating, the government was worried that the more people spoke through social media the worse the situation would get. Social media was how the protest was organised in the first place. The fact that I could not contact Marwuan in anyway was worrying but I had a feeling that he was safe.

The next day Marwuan contacted me the government had lifted the restrictions he told me that for the last two days he and his group had been camping out at the airport with lots of other tourists and expats trying to get flights to leave the country. He said that the army and police were protecting the airport so I had no need to worry. Most of Marwuans group had left the country but he was sticking around helping other tour leaders with their groups as it was crazy at the airport. Food and water supplies were low he was trying to keep the sprits up of those that we still stranded. At this point it looked like I would be cancelling my trip.
I contacted the airline and they informed me because of the situation I would get a full refund if I decided to cancel but something was telling me not to cancel yet I still had 5 more days until I departed so I thanked the person I was speaking to and hung up the phone.

The next day Marwuan left the airport after spending three days there. We were able to Skype and I was able to get up to date with the situation. Apparently things had calmed down there was still the odd riot downtown but everywhere else had calmed down. They say that up to a million people were downtown Cairo protesting for the president to step down however he did not look like he was going anywhere. The Army had now taken over control of the security as the Egyptians no longer trusted the police saying that they were all corrupt. Marwuan again told me that if I wanted to cancel my trip he would understand but I did not want to cancel. I was not spending much time in Cairo anyway I was only there a night then we would be catching a flight to Sharm then driving to Dahab far far away from Cairo.So I told him that I would still be coming.

The day of the trip had come even though everyone around me was telling me to cancel my flight and think about my safety the Australian news programs were stating that there was a chance that a civil war could break out if the president did not step down. Marwuan said that it was not that bad so I was insistent that I was going. At the Melbourne airport I checked in and told the clerk I was going to Egypt. She looked up at me with a crazy look and then asked me if I had been watching the news and if I had any idea what is going on there. I replied I had was well informed as my partner lives there. She nodded and smiled and told me to have a safe trip while handing back my ticket. At the customs counter I was asked where I was going and when I said Egypt again the clerk asked me the same question. My heart was beating fast I was starting to question if I was doing the right thing or if I should turn around and return home. No all will be fine Marwuan will make sure that I am safe he would not let me come if it was not safe I walked through customs and took a seat in the waiting area.

No comments:

Post a Comment