Friday 26 July 2013

Back to where we fell in love

When we reached Dahab I noticed that it was also lacking the tourist, Dahab had not had any protests as it was a small town that used to be an old bedioun fishing village that now tourist flocked to because of its laid back atmosphere and amazing diving sites. I expected that tourist would still be here as it was an 8 hour drive from Cairo, far away from the trouble but I was wrong most the tourist had left. As we drove through the town I could see that the army had also increased the their presence. Army officers with their jeeps were parked in the centre of town and had taken over the police check points that we had to drive through.

Our hotel was situated right on the Red Sea about 10 minutes out of the centre of Dahab. It was a little run down but because we were not married we could not stay in any other hotel.Other hotels would ask for papers proving marriage because that was the law and if they got caught with an Egyptian staying with a westerner without papers the hotel would face serious fines.We could only stay here because Marwuan knew the staff very well because this was where he stayed every time he came to Dahab with his tour groups. Walking to our room I noticed we were the only guest. We were given one of the suites which consisted of two bedrooms. One bedroom had a King size bed and one had two singles. The main room had a balcony off it that looked over the Red Sea towards the red mountains of Saudi Arabia. The staff at the hotel had made swans out of towels and placed the on the King size bed.

The swans did not stay on the bed for long. As soon as Marwuan could get rid of the hotel staff we were into each other. Not seeing each other for 3 and half months we had a lot to make up for. Hours went by where we were lost in the sheets. Exhausted from the activities both Marwuan and I passed out and did not wake up until Marwuans phone woke us up. I got out of bed to look out the window and the sun had gone down it was past 8pm in the evening. We spent the whole first day in bed. What other way would you want to spend it. Both staving we went to have a shower to get ready for dinner. Drinking duty free alcohol that I had purchased on my journey while getting ready we both were laughing and dancing around the room. I was happy really happy everything was perfect.

Once ready we caught a jeep into town to get dinner still I couldn't believe how quiet it was. Last time I was here the restaurants were full of tourist talking and laughing loudly but this time each restaurant only had a few table full some restaurants had no guest. The restaurants we decide to eat at we were the only ones there. Honestly it was nice because it Marwuan and I could chat to each other quietly over a glass of wine while listening to the waves of the sea hit the rocks. We took our time at dinner even though the food was out quickly we didn't rush off after we finished eating.

Marwuan got a phone call from a friend that knew that he was coming to Dahab and wanted us to meet up for a drink at his hotel. At first Marwuan said "No" to meeting tonight because we had only arrived today but I told him to ring back and say we could. I had been drinking a bit of wine and we had been in bed all day I didn't want to go back to the hotel yet. I also was excited to meet some of Marwuan's friends and find out how Marwuan is around people that he knows well. So we finished our bottle of wine and walked to meet his friends.

Marwuan introduced me to Mohammed and Waled. The bar we were at was run by Mohammed but was not open to the public today so we sat at a table in the corner. The bar was a little freaky because we were the only ones there it was not lit up but you could still see fishes and sea creatures painted on the walls in fluro paint. Walking to the toilet I was looking in all directions thinking that someone would come running out at me. The toilet had no toilet paper lucky I had my hand bag with me filled with tissues. You had to be always prepared in this country at restrooms because the majority of the population does not use toilet paper they use running water to clean them self.

Marwuan had bought a bottle of whiskey with him that I had got duty free. The men were very excited it was a rare occasion to drink a good imported bottle of alcohol. They were smashing down the drinks straight so the stories were coming out. They both told me what they had heard about me and that they were interested in meeting me as much as I was in meeting them. Both of them told me that they have never seen Marwuan so into a girl as much as me before but I thought it was just the whiskey talking so I just laughed it off and changed the subject. Marwuan went all shy for a while after that so there must be some truth behind it I remember thinking to myself. We sat around talking about the situation that was going on Egypt at the moment for hours.After the bottle was polished off we all called it a night and we caught a jeep back to our hotel. Almost 4 in the morning we laid in bed watching the protesters in Cairo on the TV until we both fell asleep in each others arms

No comments:

Post a Comment